Just recently Amit published a great article on the Best Tips to Raise Traffic for your Website. He pointed out many great ideas that all work in getting people to your blog, such as promotion and exchanging links. I would like to introduce another way that combines those two ways into one: guest posting.
Guest posting is when someone other than the blog owner or publisher writes on a blog. They are a guest writer.
Benefits of Guest Posting
There are many benefits to guest blogging, like backlinking from the guest post to your blog. Google loves backlinks. The more backlinks you have at great ranking sites the better your blog will rank in Google’s searches. Remember, the goal in blogging is to get people to your blog, one way to accomplish this is to rank well in Google’s search results.
Another benefit of guest posting is that you get new readers. Most of the time you will be allowed to place a link in the content of your guest post and/or in an author byline at the bottom of your post, this will bring you new readers.
One of the best benefits of guest posting is the relationship you forge between you and the host. You have given a free article with great content to benefit the host blog. And in turn that host has exposed you to new readers. You both have benefitted in the exchange. And more than likely will want to work together in the future.
How do you get a guest posting gig?
- The first place to start looking is at blogs you already frequent. These blogs are most likely within your niche and you most likely have already started to comment there. If you have not started to comment, start today. You should show an interest in the future host of your guest post.
- You can also start to find blogs in the same or complimentary subject matter as yours. Like above start to comment and begin a relationship with the blogger. This way when you apply to write for him or her you will not be a stranger.
- When you feel you have gained enough knowledge of the blog and can contribute fresh content, email the blogger and/or apply to be a contributor.
- When you are in be sure to follow the guidelines the host has set and check your grammar.
- Don’t forget to reply to comments and share your new awesome content on social media. Also, always write up a simple post on your own blog notifying your readers where you are posting that day.
Guest posting can seem like too much to contribute at first. I mean, who would want to write some of their best work to only give it away to another blog? But that is the whole premise. Giving away your best content is a wonderful way to gain readers and backlinks. It wraps up promotion and link exchange all in one package.
In guest posting everyone benefits and it’s a happy blogosphere for it.